An update concerning Bill 15
Published: December 14, 2023.
As you are aware, last Saturday, the Quebec government adopted Bill 15, which will lead to the creation of Santé Québec. The establishment of this new entity instigated a number of reactions, and it is clear that it will lead to many changes within the network. Much has been said about the Bill’s impact on hospital foundations, their governance and, more broadly, healthcare philanthropy. We would like, via this message, to provide you with accurate information on this subject.
Since the Bill was tabled last March, a working group comprised of a number of representatives from healthcare foundations was created. Numerous meetings were held between this working group and government representatives, which resulted in changes being made to the sections of the proposed law which, according to our analysis, could have had an impact on philanthropy in the healthcare network. It was a colossal task, but one that was necessary so that we can continue to carry out our work and support patient care, teaching, research and innovation in our institutions, with the same independence, the same scope and, above all, the same impact for the entire Quebec population.
Thus, the status quo in philanthropy, as announced by Minister Christian Dubé, has been maintained. Meaning that essentially:
- Foundations are, and will remain, independent and autonomous legal entities, with their own Board of Directors;
- Donations designated to an institution will remain directed to that institution, and under no circumstances can they be used for purposes other than those identified by the donor;
- Past philanthropic assets and donations are protected;
- The Executive Director of each healthcare establishment is responsible for identifying priority projects requiring philanthropic support, and is accountable for their implementation;
- Philanthropy is an essential pillar of healthcare, and our foundations will continue to play their central role in this regard, with the same rigor and independence.
At a time when the needs of healthcare are growing, and your generosity has never been so important, we can confidently confirm that the new legislation fully protects the autonomy of foundations and our donors.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.